Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Insanity in Numbers

I heard on the news this morning that between Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton they've spent more on television ads than in any campaign in history. The number was staggering -- in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Since most Americans tuned out of this election months ago, I'm sitting here wondering why this makes sense and how insane it is that the candidates themselves would allow this sort of ridiculous spending to take place.

Do these candidates know that people are running out of gas on the roadways as they try to stretch their last third of a gallon to the next station? TV executives are fat and happy, but has the spending by the candidates really benefitted anyone? With the whole super delegate and electoral college thing, does it really matter what we think anyway? Who does this benefit?

John McCain, on the other hand, has spent about $11 million on televison advertising. That doesn't sound insane. I'm sure his ad agency has instead spent its money on some really "Wow" creative that we'll see after the conventions. That, after all, is when the real spending begins.

I've just been hearing some crazy numbers lately. It happens when I watch the news, which by and large I don't. But when I do, I hear things like this advertising thing, and also, "It's going to cost the State of Texas $21 million to take care of these 400 children from the compound in Eldorado this year." This year? What are we doing for these kids? Building them homes?Funding their college accounts? Feeding them fresh seafood flown in daily? I'm blown away. Not to mention why the heck does the state have these kids anyway? We can't take care of the ones that really need state intervention. It's insanity.

So I'm trying to not become insensed by these numbers and by the news you hear on TV in general. I really don't pay attention, and it's for good reason. I tend to get emotional about this stuff. And when I get emotional I don't focus on my work. And to pay for things these days I have to work. So I'm going back to my billing and will forget that Hillary and Barrack are spending more on some stupid ad to reach one super delegate than I will make in the next five years, and I'm paying $5 for a gallon of milk, $4 for a gallon of gas, my clients are doing the same, no one is too happy about it, spending is slowing...and yet I'm in the midst of these Texas oil people (who are everywhere here, God Love 'Em), and they can't stop smiling.

I just need to get back to work because, by the way Hillary, by the way Barrack, and you too Mr. McCain, I have to work more every month just to stay even. I'm lucky I have that option. Most Americans do not.

No comments: