Saturday, March 31, 2007

Building a business

For the last several years OutreachPR has had a heavy focus in the construction industry. I've written about great architects and high rise condos. I've promoted custom home developments and helped launch new building products ranging from structural sheathing to steel roofing to decorative fence and deck products.

But perhaps the most satisfying work I've been involved in -- and remain involved in -- is the kind that "makes a difference."

For a long time my clients have furthered energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives and been part of developing incredible therapies or cures. I've enjoyed promoting solar technologies and green building systems. I have the privilege of working with a professor who helps schools cut down on bullying and a business man who employs widows in Africa whose families might otherwise starve. A new client sells a product that helps cops bust meth labs.

I've worked for companies that make sports equipment for people in wheelchairs, and utilities that turn garbage piles or wind into electricity. That's the kind of work I like to do.

The best part about these companies is that they are run by people who aren't in it solely for the money or the fame. These inspirational people do what they do to improve some aspect of some segment of somebody's life, and they do it without polluting the earth or exploiting foreign nations.

I made the decision a few years ago to be selective about the types of assignments I accept. It's not just the subject matter of the product or service. Other factors come into play.

As an asthmatic, I've been known to avoid work that forces me to drive too often to smog or traffic-choked locations in Dallas, while building long-term client relationships with businesses in New Hampshire, Seattle, L.A. and Denver.

I've also been forced to walk away from great companies with good products and decent people because their corporate polices and uncontrollable accounting log jams made my life financially difficult.

But I also won't turn down the chance to work for free for months or even years on end to help a the right business launch an important initiative or spread the word about a life-saving cure or life-changing set of values.

The result of this business policy of mine is that, although I remain gainfully employed and happily busy most of the time, I'm certainly not building a PR empire.

What I am doing is building my legacy by joining with clients that do the type of things mentioned here -- people who embody and subscribe to the values of helping their fellow man. By working with good people to get good products and services to more people, I'm a part, albeit very small part, of making a whole lot of great things happen in the world.

That feels good.

No comments: