Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One Good Summer

I passed by a mirror the other day and noticed I was smiling. It was a bit of a shock, because I suddenly realized I was having a good time.

When you're an adult with a family and a mortgage and a small business, it's sometimes not that easy to remember to have fun. This summer I think we've been doing a pretty good job of it around our house, and in my business too. It's making a difference with me.

Although we normally vacation in the summer and take a couple road trips (me and the boys), we've been home all summer thus far. I usually don't like to work as much in the summer, but now that the kids are older and want nothing to do with me, not to mention with costs going up like they are, I need to work more. I guess everyone does.

I don't mind. There seems to be plenty of work to choose from, and this summer I've resolved to take on only the work I really want. I have some partners I'm working with and that's been fun. Yes, so far my summer has been one of the best I can remember.

In addition to working with some really great people this summer and getting involved in some fun projects around things like the Olympics and film festivals and corporate giving, I've also been writing a lot. And I have a lot of ideas right now. Some are pretty good. Some make me tired. But overall, I'm a bit restless. It's the state I like to be in. The state where you get up early, and stay up late. Summer time.

If you're not having fun yet this summer you need a change of attitude. Remind yourself that it is summer. Sure we have to work hard. But play hard too. I've been to baseball games and water parks. I had a "girls day on the lake" and a few afternoons by the pool. I've played tennis, and I've been boating...it's been a good summer. I even heard my youngest say to my oldest as I headed out for a lunch with friends the other day, "Man, Mom has a lot of friends." Life in the summer can be good. Everybody wants to have fun.

Yes, indeed. Summer is definitely here. Enjoy it. When you catch yourself smiling, it feels good.

No comments: