Wednesday, February 13, 2008

People and Polos - the Trade Show

I have to say that I still can't think of a better way to meet a whole lot of people and really launch a public relations program than at a trade show.


The International Builders Show attracts hundreds of thousands of people every year. It's the trade show of trade shows, and a lot of people attend to see the coolest building products, appliances, tools, trucks, and windows, lots and lots of windows.


I've been coming to this show for several years. Not every year, but at least every other. It's been in Orlando at least five years running. I'm looking forward to when it goes back to Vegas, but for now I've at least become comfortable with getting around Orlando. The best thing about trade shows is the friendly people.

The people you meet at a trade show are immediate friends. After all, you all have something in common because you're at the same show. I enjoy working a booth and talking to people. I swipe cards and provide product information as best I can. It's a great place to meet all the ad reps and editors that I hope will someday help promote my clients.


But I like wandering around a trade show and typically I manage to avoid being stuck in a booth for any extended period of time. I've worked a lot of booths, for a lot of different clients. I can do it, but it's just not very good or me to be confined in a 20 x 10 space for several hours at a time. It's like being an animal in the zoo.


Now something I don't like: I don't really like polo shirts. I'm the only person in Orlando at this time without one -- guaranteed. Everyone at a trade show wears a branded polo shirt. I have never asked clients for one and have never had a client make me one. So I show up without my uniform, stick out like a sore thumb, and that's pretty much okay with me.

If you're a potential client and you're reading this, you should know I'm real good at a trade show. I like to talk to people and I learn quickly, so I can at least pretend I know what I'm talking about and do it convincingly. I also do a good job tracking down media people and giving them client information -- when I'm not stuck in a booth.

One thing that will probably never change though, I don't own and probably never will own a polo shirt. Please don't ask me to wear one. Thanks.

No comments: