Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike

I don't think I've ever been through a tropical storm, thank God. But I guess I'm about to.

Ike is barreling down on Texas, and you wouldn't dream it by looking outside. It's very calm. Almost eerily so. But Ike is coming. Unless something dramatic happens over night, he's on his way.

My friend from Florida called me today. She's been in Florida for 24 years, and she has weathered a few storms. She wanted to make sure I was prepared. Of course I was not. Still am not. At least I know I'm not prepared. But she freaked me out a bit, in a good way. She put me into action.

I emailed friends and colleagues in Houston and offered them refuge from the eye at my house. I don't know if anyone will respond. They are probably already gone if they are leaving. Traffic is going to be miserable. All lanes headed out of town in Houston -- probably eight lanes of bumper to bumper headed north.

Our church started welcoming evacuees today. My mother's domino club had to be moved. That's why I know.

I have a feeling if these people get here today, they are going to want to stay. It's a gorgeous day. We're headed out in a few minutes to a football game. Our son (who broke his finger in practice Tuesday) may or may not play. I prefer not. I don't particularly like football. That's neither here nor there nor the subject of this post, but the point is, it's nice out right now.

But Jennifer said the wind is going to blow and the rain is going to come. The news says six to 12 inches. That could be nothing to two feet, who knows? I'm sort of excited. I guess life in a small town is getting to me. Things like this excite me. I'm hoping we'll have house guests. That would be exciting for me.

Of course all this said, I have a ton of work to do. People outside of this area don't realize what could be going on here over the next 72 hours. It could be pretty crazy. They still need their stuff done.

Stay tuned. Maybe I'll post video during the storm. I have some from when Jean came through a week after Katrina. That was a big one too. But not as big as Ike.

Ike, I'm not ready yet, my mom says get cash and a full tank of gas. I just need food that doesn't have to be microwaved, some flashlights, some batteries, and some drinks. I have a good book I want to read (The Shack, you have to read it). We'll keep the kids close.

All this light hearted excitement aside, my good friend Ana told me today that her aunt died during the hurricane (this same one, Ike) in Cuba. Yesterday I guess. It's very sad. Nothing is on the news about that. The infrastructure of Cuba is fragile at best. There is a terrible story to be told there....but say a prayer for Ana and her family. This is the second aunt who died this week. The other of natural causes here in Texas, but it's been a rough week. Pray for the people of Galveston. They just might lose everything in the next couple of days. And pray for me, that it doesn't hit Kemp, Texas, because I have way too much to do because today I've been preoccupied with the hurricane.

Help your neighbors, friends! Take a hike, Ike!

No comments: